The Tennis and Croquet Club was founded in 1893, on land owned by Alfred Shuttleworth*, of Clayton and Shuttleworths, the famous engineering firm and in 1914 he put the land in trust. Croquet was dying out in the later 1920s and by 1935 the Bowling club was formed.
At some point the entrance to the club from Nettleham Road was sold and the present entrance was acquired. In the 1970s, Ted Mason purchased and donated St Peter's Church Hall, to provide activity during the winter and the hall was converted into 2 squash courts and a bar, then changing rooms were built on. Later still, the courtyard entrance on to Langworthgate and the changing rooms were sold enabling the building of the new club room and kitchen overlooking the grounds.
The grass tennis courts have been converted to artificial surfaces gradually over the years and floodlights added, enabling all year round play and coaching.
* Alfred Shuttleworth lived in Eastgate House. His company made steam engines and the first tanks for ww1. He was a keen sailor and the timbers of a yacht were turned into our old pavilion.